We have helped hundreds of advertising and design agencies and their clients break into new markets. As well as working for translation agencies worldwide, Adelphi has been a trusted supplier for companies such as Disney, Jaguar Land Rover, the Royal Armouries, HSBC, Barclays bank, Vidal Sassoon, the Overseas Development Institute and Amnesty International.
Get the most out of your Desktop publishing localisation project
- Many languages will expand once translated from English, so we’d recommend you leave some space for this. If in doubt, just give us a call and we’ll be happy to help.
- Your style can be central to your project, but sometimes simple really is best. Drop caps, bold, italics and colour text in the same paragraph can sometimes not translate into your chosen language in the way required to reproduce the effect. By avoiding these you can keep your costs down and speed up delivery.
- Drop caps and uppercase for emphasis can look great in English, but some languages don’t use them. This is where our company’s typesetting experience can help you.
- If you want to place text over an image, try to add it to the document rather than in the image itself. That way we can edit exactly what you need changing.
- As an experienced typesetting agency, we know our fonts and some languages have more restrictions than English. Our staff can show you which fonts work in whichever language you desire, right down to the different weights and condensed versions.
We can also localise any graphics in the document using Photoshop or Illustrator, depending on the image we could require the original layered data with live text, not outlined text. We use the latest Adobe CC applications.
A simple guide to localising InDesign files using translation software
By using an IDML file exported from InDesign we can speed up the translation and DTP process when using translation memory software. This method keeps all the formatting from the original InDesign file such as links, character and paragraph styles and fonts plus any interactive elements such as cross-references.
Click here to read more information
We need the English original data for us to adapt into your chosen languages using InDesign, QuarkXPress and other professional typesetting software, this is usually supplied by the design agency as a “collect or package” which includes all images, fonts and links (images) to the document. Without these, we cannot create a print-ready PDF as the deliverable.
We can supply the finished document as a print-ready PDF set to your specifications, if required we can also outline the text in InDesign so you can print from the InDesign file itself.